<VV> Ralph Nader

James P. Rice ricebugg at mtco.com
Wed Sep 30 16:47:58 EDT 2009

All:  May I stick up for our much abused non-friend, Ralph Nader.

Many many months, maybe even a couple years go ago, I say Nader on C-SPAN at
a book fair.  I think it was in S. Florida.  He's written a book about his
father and family.  The result of his presentation, I had my opinion of him
changed.  Nader is a man, deeply driven my his dad's example of public
service.  His heart is with/for the ordinary American citizen.  To me, that
says his heart is in the right place.

Whatever you or I think of how that heart was expressed in the public forum,
or his expertise (or lack thereof) on any subject, it is his heart that is
important.  While I have not watch much of his public speeches, a lot of
what I heard since then is understandable if you know his heart.

I have read, many years ago, Unsafe, cover to cover.  He was totally wrong
about the auto industry.

What Nader, and almost all of us miss, is that it was not the EM Corvair's
rear suspension that was the problem, but the rear weight combined with the
suspension.  The VW Beetle and Porsche's of that era had 60% or less weight
on the rear wheels, while the EM Corvair, if I remember correctly had 63/64%
of the cars total weight hung out there.  The front engine rear drive M-B
products were nose heavy, and, again, if I remember correctly, a different
spring configuration than the others.  The two things combined, combined
with most owners and some dealers and tire stores not understanding the
different tire pressure required front to rear, contributed to many
accidents.

I am only slightly sorry if this very brief comment shatters your
conceptions, inflames you passions or, in your mind, makes me a turn coat or
something.  I have never voted for Nader, along with a lot of other people
in his political crowd.  Just because I donn't agree with him, doesn't
require me to be abusive of him.

But I think the man is not the demon we want him to be.

Historically Yours,
			James Rice

PS: Just out of curiosity, does any one know the tire pressure
recommendations for VW Beetles and Porsche 356's?  Give the diversity of
this crowd, I'm sure one of you either knows off the top of your head or can
go out to your garage and check your todo pile.