<VV> Claypool's parts car

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 1 15:04:08 EDT 2010

Any car can be restored / rebuilt, but com'on!  What's a custom hand
built metal body & frame going to be worth?  Should you choose to do
such, wouldn't a Ferrari or Bugatti or Porsche Spyder or such be a
better choice for an end to this fable?  Richard Widmark's 1960 is an
example where he didn't have much choice, if he wanted a '60 Corvair,
and shows what can be done to the right piece of scrap metal, under
those conditions.

I've been involved with a couple restorations where the bottom six-eight
inches of the car were missing, plus other damage -- sometimes it's done
'cause the owner has no idea of the value of money, or other times it
could be 'cause it was some rig of sentimental value -- Grandpa's 57
chevy wagon (just happened to be a Nomad) -- "are you sure you wouldn't
rather buy one that is already finished for about half the money this
will cost?"  "It wouldn't be Grandpa's car, and now, I can afford to do
this."

I know one such rig of the former type that went to BJ and sold for 30K,
following a divorce;  it had six figures of just labor in it (then there
were the parts & paint).

And, occasionally, there's the guy that builds a car "very" sensibly,
but in good taste, and actually improves the value of his investment.

Bill Strickland