<VV> Fuel Stabilizer

Ray Davis scout1977 at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 3 17:29:42 EDT 2010

At Tractor Supply, I found StarTron an enzyme fuel treatment.  Apparently, it is also available at Wally World and some small engine repair shops.  It proclaims to stabilize gas for two years, cure ethanol problems, makes engines run smoothly, rejuvenates old fuel, easier starts, fuel economy, cleans valves, reduces emissions, removes carbon & varnish, help remove water, cures hiccups and removes ear hair.  Their web site www.startron.com explains how it works and what it does.  While I have always used Stabil and now use the marine Stabil, I am wondering if this is snake oil or something useful.  It is packaged in an 8 oz bottle which treats 48 gallon of gas and the cost is $8.

The following are quotes from the web site:

"Enzymes contained in Star Tron® can in fact "repair" old fuel, improve the octane rating in substandard fuel, disperse water and break down sludge and other deposits. Star Tron®’s enzyme formula may well be the most cost effective fuel remediation technology in the world."

"Ethanol has a great affinity for water and as a result, this new formulated fuel can cause a water layer to form and gelling to occur. Additionally, ethanol is an excellent solvent that can attack sludge buildup in fuel tanks and cause fuel filters to clog frequently. Star brite Star Tron® can prevent these problems from occurring and can also reverse the problems if they already exist."

Any intelligent and useful information would be appreciated.

Ray Davis

Hartwood, VA

P Think Green! Please do not print this e-mail unless absolutely necessary.