<VV> Corvairs with 'Antique' plates ?

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Mon Apr 5 09:13:53 EDT 2010

The laws are very very different here state to state. The most common
restriction is not to drive regularly to work, but even that is not
consistent.  So if you have questions on the legality of your usage, check
the law for your state. If you have questions about the enforcement of said
laws, check with local enthusiasts...

IL has some of the most restrictive usage requirements and (in places) some
of the most draconian enforcement... I've heard of cars having their AV
plates pulled when seen at a grocery store. I rarely ran AV plates in IL.

In many states it's not the "cheap plates" that are the primary draw... it's
the exemption from the (sometimes annual) safety and emissions inspections
that you get with them.  While I like the idea of basic safety inspections,
it's not uncommon for a one-time MD safety inspection to cost $1000+...

And in IL not running AV plates meant I had to get anything newer than a
1968 though a recurring emissions inspection... even for a decent running
car that can be tough...

Bill