<VV> CORVAIRS FROM WEST VIRGINIA

Arlette Carl arlettecarl at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 5 02:07:50 EDT 2010

Hi Bill,

Can't recall if I have contacted you about this before. I think I may have? If I have then I am sorry to bother you yet again. If not then......  my name is Carl Kelsen, I am a CORSA member and I live in Australia.

My wife and I own a right hand drive 1965 Corvair Monza convertible that we have converted to right hand drive. We purchased this Corvair about 4-5 years back over ebay from its previous owner who lived in Wheeling, West Virginia. We had this Corvair shipped from the United States to Australia.

I could not help noticing on Virtual Vairs your comment you have a long dreamt of locating your big sister's '63 Monza and particularly the fact that its original plates were from West
Virginia.

The seller and previous owner of our 65' Corvair Monza convertible told us that his father had been the second owner but had only owned our Corvair for about 3 or 4 years so the original owner had owned it from 1965 to approximately 2001 or 2002.

I also understand that our 65' Corvair was sold new by Chevrolet dealership that was located in Wheeling, West Virginia but that this dealership closed down in the late 1980s or early 1990s.

Looking back when we purchased our Corvair I do believe that we paid well over the cars real market value at the time, but that really does not matter now. I mention it, only because I believe the seller had been trying to sell it at his inflated opinion of its value for sometime, perhaps two years or more.

I think it very likely, that around 5 years back our 65' Corvair would have been at many local West Virginia Car Shows, parked next to the previous owners white 1965 Impala convertible and displaying a For Sale sign.

It was automatic, 110 hp engine, white with a white interior and have some rare options including factory air conditioning and a perfect telescopic / simulated wood rim steering wheel. The seller claimed that it had only done 31,000 miles but now that I am well advanced with a ground up restoration I believe that this could well have been more like 131,000 miles or the second time around on the mileage counter.

Nevertheless it is in every way a very correct car and after our detailed ground up restoration will be stunning.

Anyway, I often wonder if any CORSA members living in around the Wheeling West Virginia area might recall this car? I would simply love to record its real history, and I expect Corvair owners who did know of the car would be interested in knowing that it is now in Australia.

Do you think you could assist me in finding out about our Corvair or perhaps could I ask you to forward my request to other corvair owners who might be able to complete the story?

I want to create an I.D. plate for the last page of the Owners Manual. The original was not supplied with the car. If I could establish the details of the original dealer who sold our Corvair new or other information then this task might be a little easier.

Sincerely hope you might be able to help.

Regards

CARL L. KELSEN

MELBOURNE, VICTORIA, AUSTRALIA