<VV> Convention Scheduling (was: Iowa Convention Schedule)

airvair at earthlink.net airvair at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 8 18:24:17 EDT 2010

Bob,

I don't mean to sound like I disagree with your logic, but in truth, you
have NO concept of what concours participants are like. I hate to say it,
but some really DO act like spoiled brats. Many a Concours person can get
easily offended or upset, short-tempered, egotistical, and self-important.
Yet they are otherwise wonderful, nice people. It all goes back to how
wrapped up in their own cars some people can get. And if you haven't
PERSONALLY witnessed it, you really can't imagine the degree to which they
get into pampering "their baby". It really IS unbelievable. I've seen it,
up close and personal. Sure, it's "just" a car. But it's THEIR car. Their
baby. And nothing's too good for "their baby". Thus they spend like drunken
sailors to pamper it. And nothing says love like a huge stack of well-spent
cash. So why shouldn't they be a little testy when they have that much
money wrapped up in it?

At this point you're probably asking why we should cater to such a small
portion of Corvair people? Because without them, you wouldn't have a
concours. Seriously. Often, it's the half-crazed egotists that tend to
create the best show cars. And it's that drive for perfection that makes
them egotists. Like it or not, you have to bow to them in order to have a
show worth having. And it's not all that much of a bow, IMHO. Putting the
concours as the first major event of the convention isn't, or shouldn't be,
much of an "inconvenience" to anyone. Look at it as "it just is" the way we
do things.

-Mark