<VV> Planning for the Future

Robby vintagevwbeetles at gmail.com
Thu Apr 15 22:28:38 EDT 2010

I took the time to read this and here is my summary in a few bullets -
correct me if I read it wrong.

- Forced 100% CORSA membership for chapter members - see how many members
the Chapters lose then.  Since those who aren't members see no value in
joining, I seriously doubt they will join and will just leave the chapters.
Who suffers? The chapters.

- Reduction in the Communique.  For some of us, me included, this is the
main reason I remain a member.  Cut out my monthly hard copy Communique and
watch my membership expire and not be renewed.

- Very little real value in the PR tools you mention.  Truth is, IMO, you
will not bring in more members by simply building a nicer website.  So what
if you get them to the site but then there is very little perceived value
for them.

Having been in business for myself for most of my adult life, I have found
that two things are essential for survival.  one - maintain your current
customer base.  reducing services that you current provide works in
opposition to that.  Secondly, build a new customer base.  Requires MUCH
more than a nice pretty website.  I make around 20-30 car shows a year.  I
admit many of those shows are with something other than a Corvair but even
when I take a Corvair I am usually the only one there.  You can't grow
interest in a product by hiding it in your store front and hope folks might
come by and see it.  Until Corvair owners are willing to go to shows/events
other than Corvair only activities, you will never get others interested.
Sadly this has been the case for the 20 plus years I have been showing cars.

While I applaude your desire to help CORSA, I don't believe you offered
anything that will make CORSA  a viable growing entity.  CORSA can't survive
with it's current membership database.  Growth is absolutely essential.
most of your synopsis was on reducing what CORSA provides it;s current
members and very little on how to reach out to potential members.

Robby