<VV> Planning for the Future

henry kaczmarek kaczmarek at charter.net
Fri Apr 16 00:57:10 EDT 2010

Re: Robby's reply
OUCH!

I believe that Jamie's heart is in  the right place, and he's trying to do
the right things.

I had many of the same impressions as Robby, but didn't want to be the first
to say anything, considering my prior postings over the last year.

If CORSA still had nearly 6000 members as they did when I joined in 89, we
might still be having the same discussion.  Many more chapters were not 100%
CORSA, including Tidewater Corvair which I was a member at the time---(is
now 100% CORSA chapter).

The lower the numbers go, the harder it's going to get, as just about
everyone now can see.

I've spent the last 3 years as a District Vice Commandant for the Marine
Corps League in NC. The 2 major functions of the job is boiled down to
"Recruitment and Retention".  The heart of the MCL is its local detachments,
just as the heart of CORSA is the local chapters.

One might argue that there are a lot more Marines out there, so recruitment
would be much easier.   Don't lay your money out there too fast.  Finding
Marines who want to do the work for a detachment are much fewer and far
between.  All Marines are proud of their service, but that doesn't mean
they're ready to take on what amounts to a part-time job doing parades,
funerals, Toys for Tots and the like, and pay an average 35.00 a year for
the privilige. Corollaries can be drawn to the work it takes to running a
CORSA chapter.

Example---The Camp Lejuene, NC area has tens of thousands of active and
retired Marines in residence---yet fewer than 500 are MCL members in the 4
local detachments.  They should have 10,000 members in that area.

Getting back to CORSA. How does a specialty car club chapter promote itself?
Does it promote itself at all?   Do they enter parades, offer convertibles
to carry dignitaries?  Do they get local feature news editors to do articles
on the car with pictures and descriptions of club events?
Work with local Chevy dealers to do inside and outside displays?   Plenty of
people remember the cars, and if they're out there, interest could be ginned
up.  CORSA has spent money for pamphlets that give all the info.  Stress the
cars still readily available, high parts availability percentage, local tech
help from club members, features of CORSA.

Sure, some chapters do it, to varying degrees. I would wager most don't do
it at all.  If yours does, cool. If not, shame on ya!

Retention is obviously a problem as our members age and pass on.  But when
they do, there's a car for sale. Usually more than one, in nice shape with
plenty of parts  Instead of the chapter member buzzards circling the
member's home and the widow trying to buy the cars and parts (as I've seen
happen), why not use that opportunity to get the car(s) into the hands of
new and younger members?  As I see it, it's the only way to bring new
enthusiasts into the fold.   I know of several members who have over a dozen
show quality Corvairs, and are close to if not 70 years old.   How many can
you drive at once? Nobody's gonna live forever, or be able to drive into
their 80's and 90's, though some of members have done so.   Let's get those
cars out where new, younger enthusiasts can buy and enjoy them---do these
guys really enjoy looking out into their huge garages and see 7 cars with
dust covers on them, with trophies on top catching dust?    You can see that
more times than you can imagine if you look around.

If you're looking to join a car club, a "slick" website shouldn't mean that
much to a motorhead. Sure makes no difference to me. There were no
"Websites" in 1989.

I do miss my Communique, but not enough to pay 45.00 for it, or more as it
soon appears to be.

Just a few musings from a former member who couldn't see paying dues while
others don't.   Come get me if you desire.  Cancer treatment has me too sick
to give a damn most days.

Hank