<VV> High performance Oil pressures

kevin nash wrokit at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 18 11:50:13 EDT 2010

>> Message: 3
> Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 22:50:06 EDT
> From: Markpowhatan at aol.com
> Subject: <VV> high performance oil pressures
> To: virtualvairs at corvair.org
>
> I read much about using high volume oil pumps vs. stock pumps, but I am
> wondering if using such would cause the oil filter bypass valve to open, and
> not filtering all the oil. Is this scenario possible or is the pressure
> still going to be equal on both sides of the filter, keeping the valve from
> needing to open? I just thought about this since I'm in the middle of
> having a engine rebuilt. -- Newbie here just curious...Mark 63 Spyder in
> Virginia

Mark- I'm fairly certain that using a high volume oil pump will not be anymore prone to opening the oil filter bypass than the stock oil pump is, provided that you run reasonable oil pressures with the high volume pump. The oil pressure seen at the oil filter is regulated before it gets there by the oil pressure regulator. When the oil is too thick ( wether it is

too cold and/or the viscosity is wrong) the regulator bypasses the extra oil back to the inlet of the pump, preventing the oil  pressure from getting out of hand. I'm also fairly certain that during cold starts, the oil filter bypass valve is open with the stock pump, anyways, not closing untill the oil thins due to temperature. This is a good arguement for

running a multi viscosity oil in your car, and the thinner you can get on the cold rating, the

better. I just changed from 10w-30 to 0w-40 and was pleasantly suprised as to how much

quieter the lifters were, hot or cold.

I forgot to add, I changed over to a higher volume oil pump on my 63 spyder a few months

ago (25% taller oil pump gears, not the normal 50% taller gears) and it raised the hot idle

oil pressure about 7psi. I was getting 25psi at idle before, and 30-32 with the new pump. It did quiet down the lifters somewhat, but got alot quieter after later changing to the 0w-40 oil.

Kevin Nash