<VV> Anti-Knock -- (Carter EKE)

frankcb at aol.com frankcb at aol.com
Sun Apr 18 15:00:33 EDT 2010

Robert and Carlton,
     Unlike ALL other Corvairs, the turbo Corvairs came from the factory with NO vacuum advance istalled, but only pressure retard.  That means that you're driving with FIXED ignition timing until either about 4000 rpm is reached OR boost is reached.  If you do a lot of driving under NON-boost conditions where mileage and part throttle response are important, then read my Turbocharging chapter in the Corvair Basics manual to find out about adding some vacuum advance to improve non-boosted mileage, unless, of course, you don't mind spending money for gasoline.<GGGG>
     While the American-Pi unit is better (especially when you use the visual display on the dash to indicate just how much and how long your retard is lasting), the Carter EKE will work to mostly eliminate detonation IF it's installed correctly.  You need to adjust the sensitivity so as to eliminate nearly all the "pinging", but don't go overboard so far the the EKE is always in the retard mode.
     Frank "occasionally retarded" Burkhard