<VV> high performance oil pressures

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Tue Apr 20 00:08:53 EDT 2010

At 10:50 PM 4/17/2010, Markpowhatan at aol.com wrote:
>I read much about using high volume oil pumps vs. stock  pumps, but I am
>wondering if using such would cause the oil  filter  bypass valve to
>open, and
>not filtering all the oil.  Is this  scenario possible or is the pressure
>still going to be equal on both sides of  the filter, keeping the valve from
>needing to open?

It's possible...  however:

>I just thought about  this since I'm in the middle of
>having a engine rebuilt. -- Newbie here  just curious...Mark  63 Spyder  in
>Virginia

...why would you want a high volume oil pump in a street driven car
that's not going to be revved high enough to demand a lot of flow
with large clearances etc ( aka "loose" )?

Unless you're going to be buzzing the engine to the stratosphere (
and it's put together with "race" clearances ) it shouldn't need a
high volume pump in any event.   It's gonna do little other than put
a higher load on the pump itself and add potential wear to the crank
drive gear... or spill a lot of oil past the pressure relief valve
(NOT to be confused with the bypass valve ).

After all... that engine has lived its entire 47-year lifespan so far
without one and it never spun a bearing.     ( at least up until the
time it left this area) ;)

...gonna go racing?   If so, and you use the HV pump, block off the
bypass valve.   JB-Weld a coin over the hole.

tony..