<VV> Powerglide interchange

kenpepke at juno.com kenpepke at juno.com
Sun Apr 25 08:35:01 EDT 2010

Hi Bob:

I drove a 63 convertible PG powered by a 65 140 hp for tens of thousands of miles with no problems.  It always shifted properly both up and down.  Originally the car was a 4 speed 102 hp but I replaced the 102 with the 140 hp.   Then I got tired of rowing everywhere I went so I switched in the PG.  I would not hesitate to do that combination again.
Ken P

*******************************
BobHelt at aol.com wrote:

Just curious...has anyone ever used an early model  (1960-63) Powerglide
transmission connected to a 164 cu inch engine?

According to the Shop Manuals, the 1964-69 PG had  increased oil pressures
and was beefed up to match the 164 CID. So if one were  to mate a 1960-63 PG
to a 164 CID engine, how would this work out?
The EM transmission has lower internal  pressures which might make it shift
differently (or badly) when tied to a 164  cid engine.

Has anyone done this?  Were there any  problems with this combination?

Thanks.
Regards,
Bob  Helt