<VV> 1969 Corvair on Detroit Craigslist

peter koehler pkoehler01 at atlanticbb.net
Sun Dec 5 09:47:47 EST 2010

As they say, "Pictures can be deceiving". I have been
following the '69 Monza coupe on Craigslist since the
first week in November when it first appeared with a $5000
asking price. I wasn't interested at that price, but it
looked good in the pictures. Just after Thanksgiving my
buddy Pete Cimbala called me and mentioned that the same
'69 was now offered at $2500 and the owner was moving
soon. I thought about it and re-visited the Craigslist ad.
It sure looked good in the (same) pictures. Yesterday the
car was reduced down to only $1500. The engine was
supposedly rebuilt. Car only shows 38,000 on the clock. It
was repainted a while back and garaged since. The
transmission was leaking and that is why the car was
parked. The seller was about to move out of the house last
night and even offered to have the car towed up to 100
miles for free! The story sounds good here, doesn't it?
And it still looked good in the pictures. So I called my
buddy Clark Hartzel who lives just a few miles from where
this car was garaged. Clark offered to go check it out and
arrange for the purchase for me if the car what it was
purported to be in the ads and pictures.

Well, it wasn't a very good deal even at $1500. Rust was
the problem. Earl Scheib could have done a better
re-paint. The interior was trashed. The "rebuilt" engine
hadn't run in two years and looked like it would make
complaints before running again. And so on. And so on.
Clark figured it was worth maybe $500 in parts but wisely
did not make the offer.

Oh well, late model Corvairs are nice - but they are much
too modern for me! - Caveman Pete