<VV> LM Heater Blower Relay

kevin nash wrokit at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 6 23:12:33 EST 2010

> Message: 4
> Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2010 21:40:34 -0800
> From: "Steve Hammatt Mount Vernon WA USA" <gsteve at hammatt.com>
> Subject: <VV> LM Heater Blower Relay
> To: <virtualvairs at corvair.org>
>
> The heater motor in my '65 is not working.
> It has a blown 20amp fuse. I'm running a
> high output fan and maybe I should be running
> a relay because of the larger blower. Does
> anyone have a recommendation for the
> relay and how best to install it?
> Thanks.
>
> Steve Hammatt
> Mount Vernon WA USA

   Steve- Before trying the relay, figure out why the fuse is blown- Make sure that the contacts at the fuse box are clean, and if possible, the connection at
the fan. I've been running a high output fan on my 63 spyder, daily driver for years now, and have had zero problems with it, although it seems to me I
was blowing fuses with the stock fan- they do have a tendancy to collect water (from condensation) in the bottom bearing when used infrequently. The other
possibility is that the fuse that blew was not really "in spec" to begin with, and failed at a lower than normal current draw. As an experiment, you might
want to try putting another, new 20 amp fuse in to see if the problem goes away.
  Assuming that you still want to install the relay (it really is a good idea, as you will get a significantly increased blower output!), the method of wiring is
to use the "high" setting on the fan control to trigger the relay.
Kevin Nash 63 spyder daily driver, Friday Harbor Wa