<VV> FW: RE: FS: Gas Heater for a 1960

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 7 13:00:20 EST 2010

>A gas heater can be installed in any 1960-64 Corvair or FC but unless you
>have all the wiring, hoses, combustion blower & exhaust parts you may not be
>able to find them.

Yeah, lots of parts still around, but few of them seem to work   FC's
require some special fitments and a unique exhaust (exhaust 'can' be
made, if you know what it is suppose to look like), but the other
special brackets, covers, and controls are just that, special.

>If the heater doesn't work, which most of them don't, ...

Either one is a mechanic who can fix things, or one isn't.  Gas heaters
are a pretty simple gas engines with an open combustion chamber --  just
like your Corvair, they need atomized fuel, combustion air, and spark
ignition -- shouldn't be too hard to make them work, or fix  most of the
parts that don't work (note: I did not say replace), perhaps excluding
badly corroded injector nozzles, which are not supposed to be soaked in
salt water solutions.

mo,

Bill Strickland,  Caveman with working gas heater & defroster -- more
installations planned