<VV> Oil Cooling WAS Oberg & System "1"

kenpepke at juno.com kenpepke at juno.com
Wed Dec 8 10:33:04 EST 2010

If you could get the fins really tight against the filter so they were as efficient as possible it might make the oil run a little warmer.  Getting the filter cool on the outside will cool the oil that is against the inside surface which will create a thermal barrier.  The fins really need to be on the inside so oil car run in thin sheets across them.  It is also best to keep the temperature differential [oil temperature to cooling medium temperature] to a minimum.  In other words, do not attempt to cool the oil too much nor too quickly.
Ken P

moonpie8n at comcast.net wrote:

Both of these are fine products , and save a lot of time cutting open filters to examine any foriegn material that might be floating around in the oil system.
I was using paper filters ,"Back in the DAY" [late 60s , and early '70s] ..... before something better came along.
I like the idea of putting a remote filter on a stock Corvair. You get a little more filter area , you can carry a little more oill. I have toyed with the idea of clamping aluminum fins to a larger filter to help disapate heat [would it be worth the effort?].
Bob Isaac
Moonpie Racing