<VV> gas heaters

Dave Leonard dave at arborlea.com
Sat Dec 11 23:46:11 EST 2010

I'm almost certain gas heaters were only available as options on cars from
'61 to '63.  For certain, they were not available in '64.  They were the
only heater available in '60 of course.  I don't believe I have ever seen a
'61-'63 with an optional gas heater, but according to the order books they
were available.

At some point, the stamping for the trunk cowl area changed - as the '64
does not have the block-off plate in the back left of the trunk for the
heater air inlet from the cowl area.  It just has louvers if I recall.  The
early cars had a plate there that was where the gas heater picked up its
fresh air.  The '64 still had the plate for the combustion air blower in the
front left however.

I put a gas heater from a '60 in my '64 Spyder Convert many years ago when
it was my daily driver.  I also left the hot air heater in place and would
switch over to it once the engine warmed-up.  I had the gas heater for
instant heat and defrost, and the engine heat for normal running.  With both
of them going, it was toasty in there even with the top down!  Nothing beats
a "Rapid Action Aircraft Type Heater" on a cold and frosty morning!  I never
had any problems with it, and the time-to-hot-air was amazing to all my
friends in college in the winter.

Dave

> From: Markpowhatan at aol.com

> Subject: <VV> gas heaters

> To: virtualvairs at corvair.org

> What years were the gas heaters available, and were they ever installed in

> Spyders?   Mark Francis  63 Spyder

Dave Leonard

Office: 908-281-7547

Mobile: 908-612-7499