<VV> REAR HOUSING OIL LEAK REPAIR and wheel leak repair

Ken Clark kcvair at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 14 10:21:23 EST 2010

A number of years ago, back in the 1990's when I owned '69 no. 5996, I had leak at the rear housing and changed seals and did everything I could think of to find out why the oil kept leaking.  Finally, thanks to Mr. lc of the Vair shop, he advised lowering the engine so I could see the housing to put some flour in a straw and blow it onto the area of where the leak appeared to be coming from, then start the engine and when I did, presto, there not so obvious was a hairline crack in the housing itself.  I could see exactly where the oil was coming from due to the flour on the housing.   I had a housing from and early model which I put on and no more leaking oil.  I'm sure that housing is still on #5996 whoever owns it now.   Ken Clark