<VV> Corvair A/C Question

Eric S. Eberhard flash at vicsmba.com
Tue Dec 14 14:51:52 EST 2010

Trying to unequivocally state what came from the factory and exactly
how everything was is a futile exercise.  There were variations
between factories, workers, dealers, and customers.  I have a 62 A/C
Coupe originally sold in Bakersfield, CA.  I have the original
customer's invoice/sticker in terrible shape ... which specifies
non-tinted windows.  So not all A/C cars had tinted windows.  You can
never tell customer taste and I have no idea how the dealer achieved
it.  Perhaps the dealer changed the windows or added the A/C, but A/C
is listed in the factory option section, the non-tinted windows
listed in the car description.  But, I bet the dealer made this
document so who knows (or cares) -- my car certainly was sold from
the dealer with A/C.

Just for the record nobody has (or wants) a car just like it left the
factory.  Forget about bias ply tires, points, etc -- from the
factory it was wrapped in plastic, had no gas, no oil, had goopy
stuff to protect it ... it would seem a more correct standard would
be to restore a car to how it left the dealer with some wriggle room
for safety.  That is what I do anyway.

I had a 74 BMW 3.0 CSL that was equipped in a way that everyone said
was not correct.  This caused me trouble trying to sell it.  Then a
kind person sent me a period magazine article.  It showed pictures of
their test car equipped exactly like mine -- to a "T" -- and in the
article the explained that their's was an "export" version and hence
was equipped with variations from the home market version.  And my
car was correct despite 25 experts that said otherwise!

At 06:45 PM 12/13/2010, virtualvairs-request at corvair.org wrote:
>Message: 2
>Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 16:37:34 EST
>From: Sethracer at aol.com
>Subject: Re: <VV> Corvair A/C Question
>To: brent.fullard at rogers.com, virtualvairs at corvair.org
>

>In a message dated 12/13/2010 12:36:44 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
>brent.fullard at rogers.com writes:
>
>Re: "  The factory cut the openings with a cutting torch "
>
>Are you sure about  that? This picture from Kent Sullivan's website of a
>donor car with factory  A/C sure doesn't look like torch cut openings to me,
>and more like stamped  openings:
>

>The factory was working with an empty car body - no interior installed.
>Cutting it with a torch was easy and quick. The dealer had to work within a
>complete car, carpeting - at least some, wiring, and a painted dash panel. He
>  could not use a torch. Unless you bought the car new, and watched it come
>off the truck, it is hard to tell the difference between a proper dealer
>installed A/C and the factory. (That is providing that the other common
>options  like tinted glass are installed.)
>
>- Seth Emerson

Eric S. Eberhard
(928) 567-3727          Voice
(928) 567-6122          Fax
(928) 301-7537                           Cell

Vertical Integrated Computer Systems, LLC
Metropolis Support, LLC

For Metropolis support and VICS MBA Support!!!!    http://www.vicsmba.com

Fun personal pictures:  Includes horses, dogs, Corvairs, and
more.  http://www.vicsmba.com/ourpics/index.html

However, most new pictures are on Facebook.