<VV> Banshee and cross pollination

James P. Rice ricebugg at mtco.com
Tue Dec 14 18:10:46 EST 2010

Rodney:  There's been 6 or 7 cars wearing the Banshee name from Pontiac. At
least 3 of them were in the mid-60's as John DeLorean tried to get Pontiac
in the sportscar business.  Ultimately, the best he could get GM management
let him do was the Firebird.

See "The Fabulous Firebird" by Michael Lamm and "Firebird!" by Gary
Witzenburg for a better accounting of the Banshee story.  There are also a
bunch of sites on the net if you search on Pontiac Banshee.  All the ones I
looked are informative but incompletely tell the stories.

If you squint at the early versions of the Banshee's, you see the Monza
GT/SS influence from '62.  DeLorean used several people to do the early
Banshee's.  Some of them came from the same design studio as the Monza
GT/SS.  I recognize some of the names but did not do a complete read of the
chapters in the two books.  Ultimately some of them did the LM Corvair and
then the Camaro and had fingers in the Firebird.  There was a lot of cross
pollination going on at GM Design.

Historically Yours
			James

Message: 2