<VV> [FC] Body Parts for Greenbrier

ken caskey kcaskey55 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 18 10:54:23 EST 2010

I have a shop. For over 20 years I have made pieces and panels that are no
longer available or simply too difficult to find in good shape.  With that
said it is very time consuming. Some parts even with the proper metal
shaping tools (Pulmax, English Wheel, etc.) have to be made in a few pieces
and then welded together, welds ground and finished, and then finessed to
complete. I can duplicate anything.  But the cost is usually the catch.

Trying to duplicate a complicated part like a wheel well opening with all
the proper contours by hand what was once done with a stamping die is very
time intensive. Most times guys are shocked at the cost. Time is money.  Say
nothing of the years of experience needed to complete the task. Quarter
panel patch panels, full door skins, lower fenders, and pieces like these
are much simpler and many times are "do-able" for a reasonable price.

This is why I always urge my customers to look long and hard for a nearly
rust free vehicle. Far and away the cost to restore a rusty vehicle is the
single most drain on your wallet if you don't.  And with rust it's always
worse than it looks.

You are probably better off looking for a nice OEM piece from a used parts
truck. Even one that needs a little repair is a better way to go.