<VV> [FC] Body Parts for Greenbrier

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Tue Dec 21 07:36:31 EST 2010

At 10:54 AM 12/18/2010, ken caskey wrote:
>I have a shop.

I don't.   But I'm not "in business", I do it myself because I'm too
cheap to pay someone else to do it.   Or, I do it in exchange for
trade or just to help out a bud.

>For over 20 years I have made pieces and panels that are no
>longer available or simply too difficult to find in good shape.

Like replacement sheet metal patches to fix that horrid front
fender/windshield panel lead joint on lates.   Those are easy to
hammer out.    I also have templates to trace out, helps speed things
along.   Got a beatbag and an old stump for forming.

>With that
>said it is very time consuming. Some parts even with the proper metal
>shaping tools (Pulmax, English Wheel, etc.) have to be made in a few pieces
>and then welded together, welds ground and finished, and then finessed to
>complete. I can duplicate anything.  But the cost is usually the catch.

That's why I do it.   My own time is free..

>Trying to duplicate a complicated part like a wheel well opening with all
>the proper contours by hand what was once done with a stamping die is very
>time intensive.

What else would I be doing?   Out riding around and having fun?   Naah...

>Most times guys are shocked at the cost. Time is money.  Say
>nothing of the years of experience needed to complete the task. Quarter
>panel patch panels,

Done them lots.

>full door skins,

Un, NO.   Not gonna attempt to form a whole door skin when I have a
dozen or so doors in the barn.  I've patched doors...

>lower fenders,

Done them too.   Doesn't take a lot.

>This is why I always urge my customers to look long and hard for a nearly
>rust free vehicle.

I do it as a sideline... no customers per se for me.  Just my own
stuff and friends and club members etc and it's usually traded off,
never any money exchanged.

There aren't many metalwrights left in the world.  ;)   This is why I
make my feeble attempts at doing that sort of thing, mainly because
you're exactly right about time-intensive work/cost, and partly
because I kinda like the idea of making something with my hands.

One of the things I respected about rogue biker and basic troublesome
reality-tv star Jesse James was his talents as a metalwright... the
guy was pretty good at what he did, as were the other craftsmen he
hung out with.

tony..