<VV> Spyder/Corsa Turbo - fast?

Karl Haakonsen cityhawk at sprint.blackberry.net
Wed Dec 22 20:10:57 EST 2010

Well, it's not really fair to compare a 60's Corvair, which, even at the turbo level, was still an economy car, to a modern day $100,000+ sports car.

While there's no denying the improvements that modern technology has allowed in terms of performance and handling, a little reality check is in order. Cars in the Corvair's class today include such cars as the Honda Civic or the Mitsubishi Lancer. The fastest of these is the Lancer GTS which does 0-60 in 7.2 seconds (my numbers are from 2009, so there may have been some changes and YMMV). The Toyota Prius? 10.4 seconds. The mid 7's are probably possible for a Turbo Corvair with some modern mods like EFI and the like.
Not to shabby for a 40+ year old economy car which, at best, has a 4 speed manual stick (I do wish there was a supplier of aftermarket modern transmissions for Corvairs, both manual and automatic).

I'll agree, however, that my main reason for having a Corvair is because it is funky and cool rather than fast. Besides, mine is a 110 with a Powerglide. :)

Karl in Boston
1966 Monza convertible
www.chezhawk.com/VairBlog