<VV> Fwd: Why Chrysler abandoned the turbine (No Corvair)

Michael Kovacs kovacsmj at sbcglobal.net
Thu Dec 23 20:51:39 EST 2010

An aircraft eng at 90%RPM  POWER IS BARELY RUNNING. VIRTUALLY NO THRUST AND YES,
DESIGNED TO RUN A  HIGH RPM CONSTANTLY. COMMERCIAL ENGS RUN FOR  THOUSANDS OF
HOURS BEFORE DEGRADING IN THRUST. MILITARY NOT, AS THROTTLE IS MOVED TOO OFTEN,
ESPECIALLY IN COMBAT.

A CORVAIR WITH A PT6 WOULD BE FAST TOP SPEED, BUT NOT IN ACCELERATION.

 MIKE KOVACS