<VV> Reflections on newer cars, Corvairs

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Sun Dec 26 17:13:05 EST 2010

At 01:29 AM 12/26/2010, Karl Haakonsen (cityhawk at pobox.com) wrote:

Karl brings up some interesting points in his commentary here.

>During my adolescence and formative years in the
>1970s, there was a sense that cars had reached their peak in the 1960s.

Same here, and with a pretty good reason to
support such a position in the eyes of many.

>Sure, there were improvements in emissions and
>some improvements in mileage, though the
>improvements in mileage were mostly due to cars
>being made lighter (in other words, more flimsy).

Exactly.   There was a bit of a paranoia among
government regulators who feared that cars were
going to "destroy the planet" thus came the
almost frantic rush to make cars cleaner, as well
as lighter and thus flimsy compared to most cars from the '60s.

>Cars were made of thinner sheet metal and tended
>to rust out faster. Cars of the 1960s still
>seemed "modern" in terms of driveability.

Compared to cars of the '70s they certainly
were.  Many of the '60s cars simply outperformed
their '70s counterparts in not only power but
fuel economy as well.   There were a lot of cars
from the '60s that easily got over 20 mpg and
more than a few that could manage 30.   Today we
see that Ford commercial with Mike hawking an SUV
that gets something like, what, 28
mpg...?   ...And saying it as if it's a
breakthrough or something.   That wasn't all that
difficult in the '60s.   Back in the dark ages we
had a '61 Plymouth Valiant with a 170ci engine
that could easily manage 30+ highway and still
wasn't half bad around town either.

>They were able to maintain current highway
>speeds, handled at least as well as the current cars, and held up better.

Maintaining highway speeds was non sequitur...
everything that got built here in the '60s by the
Big Three was pretty much able to break ANY speed
limit on any highway in the country, and then
some.  There were "antiquated and obsolete" cars
of the '60s that could hit off 150 mph or more.

>The 1980s were spotty as well, though there were
>some improvementst to some cars, but the
>American economy cars were still, by and large, pretty crummy.

Indeed some were... basically throw-away items
that were intended to last a few years then
trade, then sold for a few hundred bucks to some
teenager, and a year later it's already recycled to become a new Toyota.

>Anyway, since the early 1990s, cars have been
>improving in most respects leaps and bounds,
>with a few periods of bean-counter cutbacks here
>and there. But the fierce competition and
>technological improvements have created cars
>that are faster, smoother, cleaner, more
>reliable, and for the most part, hold up at
>least as well as the cars of the 1960s...

Here's where we tend to part company, or at least where our paths diverge...

I am not so sure that cars made today will last
as long as cars of the '60s, all things being
equal.   There are large numbers of cars of the
'60s still here... albeit seldom actually driven
anymore.  However, they lasted this long.  True,
lots more are gone, having been used, abused,
battered and beaten, then discarded in search of
that "American Dream" of a "new car every 4 years".

Sure, modern cars have enjoyed many improvements
over the years, but it does NOT make them
invulnerable.  They're going to suffer the same
way cars of the '60s suffered.  And just as many
of them will meet an early demise for exactly the
same reasons as most of the '60s cars.

>though their technological complexity may make
>maintaining them for decades too much of a
>headache compared to their older brethren.

And THAT is the point that makes those '60s
vintage cars so much more substantial in the eyes of so many people.

They had simplicity.  They had durability.  They
were serviceable.   They could be trusted to be
easily corrected should something actually go
wrong with them.  They were built to be DRIVEN
(I've ranted on this before) by people who KNEW
HOW TO DRIVE and not by vehicle operators who
have today gotten used to getting into a car and
pushing a button to make it go and then pointing
it in the direction they want to travel with no
feel for the road or the vehicle or much of
anything else.    They have become a passenger, not a driver.

>Yet, improvements notwithstanding, can anyone
>here imagine a faithful, dedicated following of
>any of today's cars (with the exception of
>expensive sports cars and luxury cars) 40-50 years from now?

NO.   It's that simple.  Because most of them
will have long since been recycled, destroyed,
battered into submission, or simply fallen apart,
particularly the interiors and trappings which
will NOT stand the tests of time the way steel
dashes and sprung seats and brass instead of
plastic has stood up.   Add to this the
planned-obsolescence in today's cars, compared to
the construction of most cars from the
'60s.   Today's cars simply aren't going to last
as long as a '60s vintage car, -=[ALL ELSE BEING
EQUAL]=-.    (needed to throw that in there to
deflect the rhetoric I'm sure to get from modern
car advocates who claim '60s cars were all crap)

>  Someone mentioned the small number of Corvairs
> on the road as a testimony to their lack of
> durability compared to new cars of today, but,
> seriously, they are 40-50 years old!

I'll quickly take exception to THAT claim as well.  Example:

Look how many Corvairs still survive... against all odds.

There was the throw-away mentality.  There was
Nader.   There was the stigma of "6 cylinders"
compared to 400 hp ponycars.  There was its own
manufacturer that spent the last few years
throwing the Corvair under the bus.  There was
apathy.  There was neglect.   There was
bandwagoning with every so-called "expert" yelling UNSAFE!

So:   How many Corvairs remain today, compared to
other similar cars of its generation?

When somebody talks about most Corvairs having
long since vanished... what's the defining
number?   Pick ANY marque from the '60s and
nearly ALL of them are long since gone, vanished,
recycled into refrigerators and washing machines.

Pick percentages of the survivors and rack them
up against surviving Corvairs.  The numbers are
likely to be a bit of a surprise.  More than one
automotive authority has said that a surprising
number of Corvairs have survived to current times
compared to their contemporaries.

How many 1963 Corvairs are around?   How many
1963 Tempests?   Olds Cutlasses?   Buick
Specials?  Chevy Novas?   Dodge Darts?   Plymouth Valiants?

>. T ime will only tell what percentage of
>today's economy/everyday cars are still around
>in 40-50 years. Actually, the main reason why
>most Corvairs are long gone has more to do with
>Corvairs being persistently undervalued in the
>marketplace of antique cars due to the old
>(ill-informed , yet persistent) Corvair
>"stigma." This stigma keeps the value of
>restored Corvairs much lower than it should be
>as well as the value of rust-free cars. Today, a
>person can find a relatively rust-free Corvair
>for a couple thousand dollars (or less), so a
>great many restorable cars get relegated to the
>scrap heap because they have a little rust and
>nobody wants to bother with it because, why
>bother when a rust free car can be had for so little money?

Again, you hit the mark.   I keep seeing people
on THIS list talk about how a Corvair with some
rust holes isn't worth the time and effort and
they pass on it, with its owner eventually
relegating the car to scrap because there are
still better examples available.

It's almost cliche... reminds me of an example, a
parts-car '41 Chevy a bud bought for a few
hundred bucks, for its stainless and chrome trim
pieces to use on his rust-free example.  The
parts car had some rust holes here and there.  He
removed all the chrome and some other fittings
and sold it for what he paid for it to another
guy who was "gonna restore it".   Some years
later the same car, still untouched, showed up in
the classifieds for sale, also displayed on a lot
beside a major thoroughfare.   It lasted a week
before selling for SIX TIMES what my bud had sold
it for, minus all its chrome trim, rust holes and all.

...I guess the supply of perfect-body rust-free
'41 Chevy coupes had dried up.

Corvairs are gonna experience something
similar.   As time passes, those same cars passed
by years ago because they were "too rough" will
become sought after and bring some serious money,
even after weathering additional years... IF they survive.

Beauty seems to be subjective... eye of the
beholder I guess.   People oft times see only
what's visible and not what's actually there.

This is why the newest car I own is an '88 Yugo
GVX, followed by an '88 Subaru XT6, then an '85
Jeep Cherokee.   Then the Corvairs begin.   Oh...
that '66 Plymouth Satellite is in there too.

They all suit me just fine...  I'm in no hurry to
buy anything new.  Call me a Luddite if you want.

tony..