<VV> Fwd: Spyder/Corsa turbo -- fast & furious

Mark Durham 62vair at gmail.com
Sun Dec 26 20:21:44 EST 2010

I certainly like the way my 62 coupe drives. That is why I got this
car. Its fun to drive. And I too think we can do something to make the
cars more reliable. My 62 back in college days couldn't go past 20k on
a tuneup, the plugs would give out, and oil changes were every 3K
miles or so. The engines lasted me about 90K before something went
wrong inside that I had no choice to fix.

For the cost of a cheap new replacement car, I can easily restore the
62 and make it more reliable. I am currently upgrading the engine from
a 102 to a 64 110 with the longer stroke crank and later style .040
pistons, bored cyls., and a 270 cam. I have ported the heads and
intake plenum, and plan to add a OBDII generation Camaro ECM, fuel
injection, and Distributerless ignition system (DIS) after the breakin
period on the distributer (Pertronix) and carburators.

Building the wiring harness is simple, the parts are readily available
at the local junkyard and many of them are cheap to buy new. There are
people out there who can program the ECM for you, however, there are
examples out there running where no reprogramming was done at all.
These GM parts have proven themselves as being reliable.

After getting the engine compartment restored, and installing the
engine, Next will be the EFI, then suspension, interior, then full
repaint, in that order.

I expect to have a 1962 coupe that looks like it did in 1962, except
for a few suttle differences that will be hard to notice in the engine
compartment, that will start and drive like a more modern car, and
retain that reliability. I really don't care about no power windows,
power locks, or power steering (no corvair needs that).  Once I get it
running well and restored, I may add A/C to it, as added comfort for
summer driving.

I'm doing this in place of buying another new (actually I buy 1 year
old cars to avoid that dredded depreciation) so I can have something
fun to drive, that catches lots of attention, and is appreciated by
others. I also enjoy the "doing" part.

I Hope you all are having a Merry Christmas and New Year.  Mark Durham