<VV> brake failure? - Probably not the master cylinder

Ken Pepke kenpepke at juno.com
Tue Dec 28 11:04:28 EST 2010

Back in the day the dual master cylinder was claimed to maintain braking effort at one end of the vehicle during a failure of a major component on the other end.  TV demonstrations showed a vehicle still locking up the front wheels when the rear had failed.

I have always assumed that all Corvair dual master systems had the slider valve [a block with lines attached adjacent to the master] because the 1966 system I installed on my 63 was so equipped.  And, it worked as expected.  Failure of a rear wheel cylinder caused the valve to slide which resulted in a very high, very hard pedal.  The car stopped almost as well as normal and the only clue was the increased pressure required on the pedal.  Once repairs were made the real trick became getting the slider valve back in the center.

Now the question becomes 'was this stock or did a PO add it to my parts car?'
Ken P

Begin forwarded message: