<VV> Fitch Article

Karl Haakonsen cityhawk at sprint.blackberry.net
Thu Dec 30 20:21:27 EST 2010

Not to belabor the point and I get what you're all saying, but what I'm trying to say is that the majority of Hemmings readers are not Corvair people and the wording was unfortunate.

The stock LM Corvair did use bias ply tires, as did the stock Falcon and Valiant, etc, and the Corvair was hands-down a better handling car out of the showroom than the competition. So the wording, to a non-Corvair person's eyes perpetuates negative myths about the car. I'd have preferred it if he said something like:

"The stock 1965-69 Corvair, with it's improved suspension was already one of the best handling cars on the road at the time. Yet, like its competitors, it rode on bias ply tires and the suspension could be tightened up for even better handling. Several improvements could be made to make it handle like a real sports car for very little money. My modifications included XYZ and the car handled like a Porsche."

You know what I mean?

Anywhoo, I'll let it go...  Sorry for going on... I do have a sort of radar for negative Corvair stereotyping, but for the most part, I just roll my eyes and move on. I guess hearing that from John Fitch was disappointing. I kind of thought he was one of "us." :)