<VV> Auto Tranny Gear Indicator.

Vairtec Corporation Vairtec at optonline.net
Tue Feb 2 10:53:05 EST 2010

I wrote, in response to a prior question:

 > Again here in NJ, a requirement is that the shift pattern be
displayed for manual transmission cars.

Frank DuVal then wrote:
> So, weren't the early Corvair three speed shifters with a blank black
> knob? Or were all the ones I've seen worn off?
>
> So what about ALL the three on the tree cars built? I have never seen a
> gear pattern anywhere on the car.

OEM 3-speed cars without the gear pattern were generally exempted from
the display requirement here in NJ, because, back in the day when this
legislation was first enacted, 3-speeds were considered to be the
"standard" transmission.

But we have moved somewhat afar from the intent of my original message,
which was:  If the new Clark's Powerglide floor shift kits do not have a
gear selection indicator, check your local regulations.  I know only
that if I were to install this kit here in NJ, I would have to devise a
means to indicate gear selection in order to pass State inspection.

--Bob