<VV> Automatic Floor Shift Conversion

FrankCB frankcb at aol.com
Tue Feb 2 14:08:17 EST 2010

Scotty,
     Wasn't it that lifeguard/actor guy that said "Government isn't the SOLUTION to the problem, government IS the PROBLEM".<GGGGG>
     More to the point, NJ requires that the shift layout be SHOWN to the driver so that when driving an unfamiliar car you know where the gears are going to be when you move the shift lever.  In these days of 4, 5, 6 and 7 speed transmissions, if there's no marking visible how the blazes does a new driver know WHERE to put the manual (or even automatic) gearshift lever???  Makes sense to me.
     Most (maybe all) of the automatics actually indicate which position the gearshift is IN at any time so the driver will know what to expect.  If you don't have a tach, you need some indication to keep you from driving in regular drive instead of overdrive.  That's why I resist getting a car (even an A/T one) with no tach since it's not always easy to see the gear indicator if the sun is not shining correctly to illuminate it.
     Frank "frequently shiftless" Burkhard