<VV> Lifter help

kenpepke at juno.com kenpepke at juno.com
Fri Feb 5 07:50:02 EST 2010

All the lifters are bad?

If by bad you mean there is a cup shaped wear pattern on the cam follower surface there will be little reason to replace the lifters without also replacing the cam ... unless you are planning on unloading the car to an unsuspecting buyer.

If by bad you are saying they are clicking and they are all clicking then replacing them will probably not solve the problem.  Assuming you are knowledgeable in the adjustment procedure you need to look at oil pressure / flow.
Or do they loose their adjustment over time?  Such might be the case if the adjusting nuts are worn or if the head bolt is pulling out of the block.

If a couple are still clicking after the engine has been running for a long period of time the most likely cause is failure of the check ball spring.  The check ball spring and check ball are easily replaced.  It is best to do this rather than replacing the lifter because ... Placing a new follower surface against the cam is not recommended ... but if you must be sure to use cam assembly lube.  Then hope for the best.
Ken P

Stephen Till <still63 at att.net> wrote:

I have a 66 corsa 140 with bad lifters.I have tried cleaning and reinstall with no
luck. What is the opinion of replacing all lifters? I know you are to use a special lube
on new lifters with new cam. How about new lifters with lube with a used cam? Any ideas?
Thanks Steve Till