<VV> 68 interior lights

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Sat Feb 6 16:25:13 EST 2010

In a message dated 2/6/2010 1:04:52 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
dschnei at yahoo.com writes:

Hey  all,
I'm trying to bring a 68 Monza back to life and am having  a problem with
the interior lights, this car has a dome lamp as well as lights  under the
dash. The lights do not turn off. What should I check and in what  order? The
door switches move freely and the headlight switch works fine  turning on
and off the headlights and I can feel the detent for turning on and  off the
interior lights on the switch, but I suppose the switch could be bad.  The
car also has an underhood and trunk light, could either of those affect  the
interior lights? thanks for any help.

Dave  Schneider

Dave, the underdash light harness and the overhead light harness are on one
 circuit, and not affected by the engine or trunk lights. The underdash
lights, when used on a coupe, have their own harness that plugs in-line with
the  feed to the overhead light. That is why they should dim together. On a
convertible, the under-dash lights replace the overhead light, but they
still  dim with the headlight control. Something you didn't mention, but  - does
 turning the rheostat in the headlight control effectively dim the dome and
 underdash lights, or do they stay bright no matter what? If it has no
control over them, someone may have wired the feed to the lights from another
12V source. But remember that the circuit for those lights is hot, and the
switches in the doors just provide a ground. So if any of the wiring in the
circuit - after the bulbs - gets grounded, the lights go on and stay on
even if  the doors are closed. You might want to check the feed wires behind
the door  switches. It is kind of a convoluted reach, but you should be able
to reach  them. You could also unscrew the door switches - carefully - to see
if the wires  behind them are still attached. If the wire has fallen off
and is sitting  on a ground - there is your problem.  Let us know what you
find.

Seth  Emerson

C's the Day! - Corvair, Camaro,  Corvette