<VV> "Clunk" when shifting into gear

iscdirector iscdirector at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 6 20:44:49 EST 2010

This is an issue that I have seen a lot with corvairs that have been well used and have spent some time researching the problem. Probably your car does not idle smoothly when the car is stopped in gear with the brake applied and the down shift from 2nd to 1st when approaching a stop is quite noticeable. First check the transmission throttle valve adjustment per the shop manual instructions. Then check is the modulator with a mighty vac to be sure it is good. If that is ok get a hand held vacuum gage start the engine and check the inches of vacuum at the modulator, it needs at least 15Hg of vacuum to lower the fluid pressure in the transmission as it is supposed to, a healthy engine will usually have 16Hg to 17Hg of vacuum. If your vacuum is to low you will have to repair the valve train to get the required amount. Also if the car has been used for awhile with low engine vacuum conditions it is very common for the low band cushion spring to be broken
 which will make the clunk real bad. Another situation created by low vacuum or a bad modulator is the pinion gear coming loose on its shaft, this creates a noise like the U-joints are bad when they are OK.