<VV> Engine building - valve spring installed height

iscdirector iscdirector at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 6 22:52:02 EST 2010

Check your springs with a valve spring tester to see what height measurement is needed to obtain the best spring pressure. The shop manual calls for 1.660 in. which is supposed to give you 78 to 86 psi seat pressure. I always set the spring pressure at 90 to 95 lbs which seems to improve idle and HP. But different brands of springs all check a little different so it is good to check them with a tester. Also when the valves and seats have been cut at the machine shop you should check the rocker arm geometry when you assemble the engine. This is critical for a rebuild to run good and the valve guides to last