<VV> FW: Weird carb problem

Mark Durham 62vair at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 23:38:22 EST 2010

Sounds like you've got it under control. What I was having trouble with is
getting the carbs set up so the thing would run right. Even after a detailed
rebuild of both and a replacement of the worn out distributer it ran poorly,
and I found when syncing the carbs the left bubble would osilate up a down a
little and the right would osilate up and down twice as much. It is using a
bit of oil, the two cyls with lower compression are but not fouling the
plugs yet, they just show a different color, and I also have a bit of a
piston slap on both I do not like. I've put a 5W 40 Full Synthetic oil with
the ZDDP in it which helps to plug up the rings. I initially put a 5W 30 in
and it ran like crap, and I could not sync the engine.
So, I'm thinking that I will do a bit of driving this spring, have it
checked out by some more seasoned corvair owners in the area to make sure
what I hear is real, and see what goes from there. If the guys concur with
my suspicions, then maybe this fall I plan for a full teardown and rebuild,
I've got a 64 case that is good for the longer crank and 64 cylinders, so I
am going to put those in and a new OT-20 cam in it, maybe some other
upgrades.  We shall see. It actually runs strong and sounds good under
power, its the extra knocks (and its not valve train, I know what that
sounds like and have used a hearing probe to find the slapping pistons, and
not the fuel pump,)I don't remember my original corvair having. I remember
it being quiet.
Bye for now Mark Durham