<VV> Engine building - valve stem seals?

Mark Durham 62vair at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 12:53:26 EST 2010

Les, There is a different thought here. If you read Otto parts section in
Clarks, they go with tighter tolerances on their valve guide to valve stem
and eliminate the seal. They say yes, it uses a very little bit of oil but
provides much better lubrication of the valve stems; and the valve guides
last a lot longer.

My personel experience has been that my 102 hp heads with seals last over
100K miles so we might be splitting hairs here. But, if I was changing
guides, I'd install the Otto ones and not use seals. I would be after the
tighter tolerances (they talk about lapping the vavle stems to the guides)
which also helps keep the valve better aligned with the seat for a longer
period of time, with less chance of valve leaks.

I don't have any expereince with the 140 heads. Maybe someone who does can
give more specific advice there.  Mark Durham