<VV> Sounds Good (radio noise interferes) some Corvair (may be entertaining)

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Wed Feb 10 08:09:26 EST 2010

At 12:10 PM 2/8/2010, Taruffi57 at aol.com wrote:
>   2nd Recall:  YouTube BRM V16 for the
>absolute KING of engine  sounds.

Uh, that engine isn't a V- it's a twin-boxer, like the Napier H-24
aero engines.   It's two boxer-8's stacked in a common crankcase with
a big idler gear connecting the top cylinders' crank to the bottom
cylinders' crank.

It is also one of the best sounding engines I ever heard in my
life.   You gotta hear one to know...

Mechanical nightmare it may be but the BRM's ruled open-wheel road
racing for many years.   When I was just a kid in my teens first
getting into cars I remember hearing and reading about the BRMs and
the path they'd cut for the rest to follow... if they could.   :)

...first time I ever saw a diagram of a BRM H16 engine I was
awe-struck.   How on earth could such an engine exist?    Then I
later got to see a Napier Sabre 24 cyl stacked boxer-H. ...the BRM
seemed a bit conservative in comparison.

By the way:   The Napier Sabre-24 is a sleeve-valve engine.   Ponder
THAT for a moment or two...

http://www.khulsey.com/makoto_ouchi_napier_sabre.jpeg

Magnificent.

tony..

PS:   A BRM H16 (if you can find one) will fit the engine bay of a
Corvair; transaxle may be a bit of a problem