<VV> Sounds Good (radio noise interferes) some Corvair (may be entertaining)

Taruffi57 at aol.com Taruffi57 at aol.com
Mon Feb 8 12:10:06 EST 2010

I just realized the other day that the only radios that work in my cars are
 the ones in my wife's Mercedes and my Explorer.  They all have radios in
them but some are said to not have any speakers, or speakers not connected
or  just that the radios don't work.  I don't know.  Guess what,  when I get
in the other cars, I never even think about radios/CD or DVD  players.

I think this all began with the Sunbeam Tiger.and it's 260 Mustang  V8.
That one had just the right   noise/quietness ratio.   Actually, more leaning
toward engine music. The Pantera was WAY into NOISE, and  turning on a radio
would have defeated one of the top reasons I even drove the  car.  A GREAT
HOWLING THUNDERING  N  O I  S  E  !!!!!!!   Usually accompanied by the rear
tires flinging out clouds of  smoke while reducing tread depth.   My 2 liter
Alfa GTV has a  distinctly Italian combination of DOHC whirring - with a
cracking exhaust note,  and will "whuff" on the overrun.  4800 rpm and above -
on back roads will  turn any ordinary day into a happy day.  The TR8 has
much of the same  characteristics as the Tiger - although just a little more
civilized.  The  Renault R5 Turbo II was... "YEOWWWWW"   from corner to
corner with a  big lunge forward when the Garrett spooled up.  The very
definition of  Point-and-Squirt. The dual Accord engined CRX is Other Worldly when it
 comes to sound.  Nothing unusual until you get to around 110 mph, then you
 become aware of a fast freight train catching you from the rear.  Keep
your  foot in it and the Freight catches you and is now bump-drafting you.
Almost sounds like the engines are way past their expiration date (6200  rpm).
  HUGE noise. ( the rear engine is right there in the car with  you)
However, I think this 4 carb. 2.7(+) that David C. built for me  in my '69 coupe
is my favorite soundtrack.

For a non-Corvair driver -  If you've ever ridden in a Lycoming  air-cooled
engined airboat (they are all over south Florida), you would know how  this
thing sounds.  Over about 90 mph on a fast sweeping country State  Road,
the sound through the IECO headers and dual DynoMax',  is quite  unlike any
sound I have ever heard in anything else I have ever driven.   This thing
just wails.  Oh, I forgot to mention that up until now, the car  has had
nothing in it's interior except headliner, door panels and 2  non--stock bucket
seats.  No carpeting, back seat or package shelf  insulation.  I can hear the
transmission, diff., and the internal parts  working in the engine.
Well.....sort of.

One other Sound recall:  Was in our condo one early Sunday morning and  was
awakened by a precision droning sound.   After a few minutes,  a
pearlescent white '89 - 25th anniversary Lamborghini Countach V12
(the one with the skirts along the rockers) backed out of another  garage.
I walked outside, listening while he warmed it up, and even from  40 yds.
away, this thing sounded like a CART Indycar turbo at fast idle.   You could
hear precision and power in just the sound.  I'll never forget  that sound
and hope one day to cop a drive in a Lambo with that  engine.  Has anyone
heard a Bugatti Veyron up close?     2nd Recall:  YouTube BRM V16 for the
absolute KING of engine  sounds.

Why am I typing this long-winded daydreaming?  Because it was 37  degrees
here last night and I'm bored.   :-)    On  second thought, I COULD do a
SEARCH  for "free porn".................

Joe Dunlap
Cen. Fla.