<VV> Valve stem seals

craig nicol nicolcs at aol.com
Wed Feb 10 12:05:49 EST 2010

Here's my recommendation: Leave the intake seals off after installing new
valve guides or sleeves. Here's why: Original Corvair lifters, which haven't
been available for about 40 years, permitted a large quantity of oil in the
valve cover region. The lifter we have now throw a fraction of the oil so
there's very little present at the valve stems.  Teflon seals are very
effective at wiping oil so the net effect is "not enough" lubrication to the
valve stems.

Leaving the seals off allows the small quantity of oil to lubricate the
valve stem, which extends it's life and promotes a safe break-in. If a guide
is starved, the valve and guide will seize which either causes breakage in
the valve train or forces the valve and guide into the combustion chamber,
which takes out the head, piston, and rod. If oil consumption becomes an
issue many years down the road, that's when I'd install seals.

Net effect in our low oil environment: leaving the intake seals off promotes
longer guide life and safer break-in.

Craig Nicol

66 Monzas, 61,62 Rampsides