<VV> Engine Longevity

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Wed Feb 10 23:25:56 EST 2010

In a message dated 2/10/2010 9:09:48 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
dmonasterio at hotmail.com writes:

One of  the reasons you can get 200-300K miles on engines today

There have been several comments recently on VV about Corvair engine
longevity.  Realizing that our engines turn at higher RPM than today's cars
which have overdrive, 2 to 1 diffs and computer control so they  should last
longer, but I still had one smog engine that went just about 200k  before
something broke (haven't torn it down yet so I don't know what broke  yet--and
because it is a smog engine and I have too many projects already I may  not
rebuild it).  Another smog engine went 127K before it dropped a seat.  My
Greenbrier has about 130K (I'd check but it's under 37" of snow from  our last
two storms) and runs strong never having had any mechanical  faults.

Just what is the collective experience for engine longevity that others
have had?

Bob