<VV> RE>> LM Engine Bay detailing--Alternator

vairjer at comcast.net vairjer at comcast.net
Thu Feb 11 13:02:58 EST 2010

Snip>The casting of the alternator is aluminum, I believe, and would be anodized<

When I worked as a quality supervisor in Plant Seven of Delco Remy, back in 1969-1971,the Delcotron (alternator) castings were diecast aluminum, and the only treatment they got after casting was a turn or two in the "Wheelabrator" machine which removed flashing. The stamped steel pulleys were cadmium plated for some division, and some had black low gloss paint.

The molten aluminum came in by a special tanker truck, off loaded into electric holding furnace and delivered to the casting machines in a heated ladle.

Jerry McKenzie
PCCA