<VV> Unintended acceleration

henry kaczmarek kaczmarek at charter.net
Sat Feb 13 21:23:00 EST 2010

Charles' story should be a wake-up call for all of us, but especially LM
owners.

As I explained once at the parts counter to a customer with a GM CS series
alternator, wondering why the bearing came out of  the rear housing after
about 15 months-----when that was exactly the same problem he brought his
original in.

The company that rebuilds these alternators is rebuilding a part that is the
result of some lousy engineering.

The 1965 and 66-69 Corvair Motor mounts, and some of the transmission mounts
as well, have designed-in flaws. Not on purpose of course, but this is the
reason a newly rebuilt mount can fail earlier than you think it should.

I don't know if Auto-crossers go through more mounts because of the stresses
applied to the drivetrain in that pursuit, but I certainly wouldn't be
surprised.  It is highly unlikely that the engineers would be thinking the
drivetrain would ever be put through those stresses in normal driving.   I
have spoken to GM Engineers who told me that the Corvair was designed to
last about 10 years.  Yet 45 years, and 50 years later, we are still driving
them.  This was never envisioned by the design staff.

Writing this because AFAIK Steele Rubber is the only company that rebuilds
Corvair mounts.  By the amount of cores we get from the vendors and from
individual owners I can see no other alternative.

>From Charles' story we find another way that our car can become unsafe at
any speed.   So check your mounts.  And pretty please, with sugar on
top---DON'T JACK YOUR CAR UP BY THE MOTOR MOUNT!!!!! There are jacking
points on the car----use them!!!  Doing the above guarantees premature
failure of the  LM mount.

Hank