<VV> Unintended acceleration

Charles Good charles_good at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 13 15:14:50 EST 2010

Years ago I had an unintended acceleration in a 1965 (I think) Corvair.
It was very very scary and I am lucky the car and I came out of it
without major damage. I drove over a bump or pothole and I didn't know
it at that moment, but the jolt popped two or three of the motor mount
bolts. The rear engine sagged down and stretched out the accelerator
linkage and the automatic transmission linkage. The car shot forward at
full throttle as I approached a turn with another car coming toward me.
I tried but failed to put my corvair in neutral, but couldn't because
of the stretched transmission linkage. I ended up passing the
approaching car on the turn ON THE LEFT, then found the ignition key
and switched off the engine. Fortunately this was in the days before
steering wheel locks. I had no idea what had happened until I got the
car towed and a mechanic showed me the saggy engine.

Charles Good
charles_good at hotmail.com