<VV> Tow Bar/Car Dolly

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Mon Feb 15 01:47:26 EST 2010

In a message dated 2/14/2010 5:01:36 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
cmhvair at aol.com writes:

I am  currently in the process of looking to get my corvair coupe to the
convention  in june. I have looked at a tow bar at Harbor Freight. They can
also special  order a car dolly. I have a 1998 Chevy S-10 that I would be
hauling it with.  Has anyone had any experience in  towing a corvair with a tow
bar? How  well does it stop? What maximum speed can you drive recommended?
I'm trying to  get a jump start on getting something purchased to get to the
convention.

Thanks,
Chris Hall.

Chris - I have flat-towed a Corvair long distances with no issues. I have
used a Chevy Avalanche - larger than your S10. Most of my towing in
California  is at the legal limit - 55 for all towing vehicles. You do have to plan
a bit  during the operation, since you cannot back up - trust me -you can't.
(Maybe 4-5  feet). If you do use the flat tow method, make sure that the
tow bar is flat  (parallel) to the ground. When you apply the brakes on the
tow vehicle, you  don't want the towed vehicle to rise up over the hitch. If
the towing vehicle is  big and heavy enough, it won't matter if the bar aims
up to the hitch, because  it won't have enough lift to matter. On your S10 -
It better be absolutely flat,  and remember the tendency of your truck is
to rise at the back under braking  anyway. The braking of your truck will
have to be good enough to stop both  vehicles. That is your truck - with an
extra 2300 lbs (or more) + plus your  internal load. You don't have to worry
much about tongue weight, but total load  does matter.

PS - Your mailbox is full

Seth  Emerson

C's the Day! - Corvair, Camaro,  Corvette