<VV> Towing with a Car Dolly or Flat tow

corvairduval at cox.net corvairduval at cox.net
Tue Feb 16 12:45:22 EST 2010

Opinions vary. Matt is correct in that Corvairs have been towed by all
means over the last 40 years. Most have survived the trip. I do not
personally know of any that have had damage to the drivetrain.

Powerglide cars have what is known as a rear pump. You can test this by
turning the car off in neutral and turning the ignition back on then drop
the selector in D or L if your speed is over 18 MPH. Obviously this could
be a dangerous driving trick, so a non populated street at 25 MPH is good.
This also means you CAN push start a powerglide equiped car, as long as
your buddies can get up to 15+MPH pushing.

Now, as for the tow question, this also means the powerglide transmission
will lube itself just fine while being towed in NEUTRAL. If you tow in R,
D, or L the engine will be spinning. Not a good thing when towing. Tow
directions will tell you to limit speed to 45 MPH and 100 miles in
distance. I'm sure many people will tell of higher and longer tows with no
problem. I know of one dune buggy powerglide 110 that was regularly towed
at interstate speeds from DC to the Outerbanks (North Carolina) on
vacation. He let the engine run the whole time. He had made a big light
wired into the generator light so incase the engine died or the belt came
off he could see warning in the rear view mirror.

Even with 3 & 4 speeds you need to make sure nothing can fall and force the
shift lever into gear while towing. Some people think you need to start the
engine and drive the car every few hundred miles to circulate gear lube in
the manual tranny since the trip is in neutral, and therefore not a normal
operating condition for fluid flow to bearings.

So, what transmissions do you have and how far are you going?

Frank DuVal