<VV> Three Speed Corsa ...

jwcorvair at aol.com jwcorvair at aol.com
Tue Feb 16 20:57:05 EST 2010

I think that if I had a stock, original 66 Corsa with a three speed, I would not install a four speed in it. Even Vettes from that period came "stock" with a three speed, a four speed was optional. I think that if a Corsa had a three speed, the car might actually be more collectable, certainly more rare. True, rarity does not always make for collectable of any kind and the performance of a four speed is a bit better, but cruising with a three speed is pretty classic.

A 65 Corsa with a three speed is a slightly different matter. The lack of first gear synchro is a bit of a pain in traffic (unless you can double clutch down shift - which is actually great fun).

Also, I recall a VV discussion about turbos and three speeds. I think that the argument was that a turbo with a three speed could stay in the turbo boost RPM range better. But, honestly, I don't recall the discussion that well. I have been intrigued ever since about the possibility of installing a 66+ three speed in an EM turbo.

Has anyone seen an EM turbo with a three speed?

Joe White
CORSA, RMC