<VV> ac curiosity

airvair at earthlink.net airvair at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 17 20:00:41 EST 2010

All,

I recommend that anyone who is doing an a/c installation of a stock system,
or is stripping one out of a donor car, get the a/c installation
instructions, as well as the templates, from Clark's. They are worth more
than you realize, as they tell just what to remove/install where, what size
hole to punch where, etc.Over the years, I've seen far too many people miss
far too many "small stuff" parts, only to regret it later.

As to cutting the odd-shaped holes, the factory usually used dies or a
cutting torch. For our use, a set of hole punches, plasma cutter (torch),
cutting (abrasive) wheel, grinder, and diamond/carbide burrs work great. If
you're going to do the job, be sure to use the right equipment. To half-@$$
it is stupid, and you'll live to regret trying to "get by" without the
right stuff.

Trust me, I ought to know. I've installed more Corvair a/c systems than I
can count (lost count after about the 9th one). Also have installed many
factory stereo systems, and all other factory accessories. If it's a
factory accessory (particularly LM), I've installed it, and know all the
details of them intimately.

-Mark (Prez of the Air 'Vair Group)

car. It seems I remember a car that had the stock A/C system that had
rubber hoses instead of the copper pipes. I'm not sure of any advantages or
disadvantages of doing this but I know this car did not have any copper
pipes. But it was a stock Corvair installed kit. As far as cutting the
center duct hole in the dash, is there a "good" template available? It
seems some of the cutting was done with cutting torches or worse? Any
suggestions on cutting this hole?
Timothy Shortle in Durango Colorado
Not needing A/C right now!