<VV> winter/summer openings on the shrouds

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Fri Feb 19 10:10:05 EST 2010

In a message dated 2/19/2010 7:58:54 AM Eastern Standard Time,
judynrandy at comcast.net writes:

As an  amendment to my original question about fuel mileage in winter: for
a Corvair,  what sort of difference does it make whether or not one opens
and uses the  winter/summer opening in the lower shroud.  The '65 owners
manual says to  open the slot at 60* F and lower temps.  Thoughts?
Randy (Cap'n) Hook

'63 ragtop

84/pg

When new (and almost new) my LMs benefitted from following the owner's
manual advice about the "winter/summer" plate.  Cold weather engine warmup,
initial driveability and mileage benefitted from uncovering the opening on the
 driver's side as recommended by the manual.  I still do it, but no longer
take note of mileage differences.  Here in Maryland I typically  change the
plate at Thanksgiving and in mid March.

Bob Hall