<VV> Fuel mileage and the cold

Mikeamauro at aol.com Mikeamauro at aol.com
Sat Feb 20 08:39:27 EST 2010

:.. once warmed up, the cold air results in a denser  charge, great for
power, not so great for mileage..."

Maybe, maybe not; depends on how lean the AF ratio goes. Read from my
earlier post:

(after speaking about effect of  cold weather "choked"  operation) Now,
about the effect of cold weather on air-fuel mixture... colder  air is denser
(this means, for an engine, at a given elevation, more oxygen  to work with).
Therefore, with a carbureted engine (after the chokes are  fully open), as
the air temperature falls, the AF ratio increases (the mixture  becomes
leaner). For example, my 67 coupe is equipped with wide band O2  sensors and
digital AF gages in the cabin... in the summer the AF ratio, at  cruse, is
consistently 14.5 to 15.5:1. Now, with the air  temperature primarily below
60-degrees, it is not unusual to see AF ratios  above 16:1 at cruse. When I get
into the petal, as I'm using the later, before  smog, fuel enrichment carbs,
the ratio drops to a safe range  for acceleration (but that's another
topic).     With  colder meaning leaner, one would think colder would
automatically mean better  fuel mileage... maybe, and this is purely theoretical-speak:
there is a  point for any engine-vehicle combination where a too lean
condition (besides  causing engine damage) can cause efficiency to "fall" off the
 performance curve. Finding and holding the "sweet spot" with a carbureted
engine  is a challenge; hence, precisely the reason fuel
injection--especially the  modern, microprocessor-controlled version--was  developed.

Mike Mauro
of several Corvairs  http://community.webshots.com/user/mikeamauro