<VV> Hannibal 8

Gary Swiatowy gswiatowy at rochester.rr.com
Sat Feb 20 07:36:48 EST 2010

This has come up a few times in the past. There are several "conflicting"
opinions on the power.
Some say VW Industrial engine, some say Corvair.
As far as I can tell, they are both correct!
Quote:
Six Hannibal-8 cars were built for the movie. Three of these used the "lazy
tongs" lifting mechanism. This mechanism was so fragile that it broke
constantly.

The Hannibal 8 driven by Professor Fate (Jack Lemmon) was powered by a
Corvair 6-cylinder engine and 3-speed transmission.

This car is the only one of six made that moves up and down and can be
driven forwards and backwards. The engine and transmission are Volkswagen
industrial models which allow the car to be driven while moving vertically.

I'm guessing some were built with both engines.
The VW industrial engine was most likely used in the ones with the scissors
lifts possibly using a hydraulic motor driven pump.

I have yet to find a picture showing the motor on any of them.
And very possibly, the story varies due to writers not knowing one motor
from another.

There certainly were more than one Hannibal 8, most sources say 6, some do
say 5. Typical Hollywood, as when making a film using a vehicle, you very
rarely can get away with one, as things break, things go wrong, and during a
stunt, all bets are off. Given the budget of a movie, you cannot shut down
while fixing a car.
They didn't use only one General Lee either in the Dukes of Hazzard!

Gary Swiatowy

From: Frank Ness <aircoolvair at yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: <VV> Hannibal 8

The reason for the Corvair power was the body was to lift off the chassis
and rise in the air. The engine was in the rear and let the chassis maintain
a low profile.F